PRODUCTOS LACTEOS ARTESANALES S.L., is a company of Fuente Palmera, province of Cordoba, Andalusia, located at the south of Spain.
Quincana is the name given by the inhabitants of our region to the bag made with palm leaves that the shepherds traditionally used to carry their food when they went to the flock. We decided to pay homage to these men giving this name to one of our cheese: Quinkana.
Our cheeses are the result of our experience in the milk and cattle market. We have combined the traditional goat cattle-raising from the province of Córdoba with the craft industry of mainly goat cheese. The old recipes we use to make our cheese have been passed down from generation to generation by word to mouth. These recipes have been collected by our master cheese makers, who have also added their experience and knowledge. They have expertly combined the tradition with the modern techniques of manufacturing to guarantee a healthy product of magnificent taste.
With the brand “Quinkana”, we produce pure cheeses made from pasteurized goat milk and with the brand “La Abuela Valle” we produce it with pasteurized mixed milk cheeses (cow and goat). Our new brand “Nu’m” is a premium goat milk cheese that also is certified Halal made with pasteurized milk, too. In all the three brands you can find fresh and ripened cheeses.
- Queso fresco: Our fresh cheese has the typical acid aroma of a goat cheese and the taste is sweet, mild, slightly salty flavour and fresh sensation. Without rind, shining white colour. The sell-by date of this cheese is 25-30 days due the pressure to the pieces placed in cheese hoops.
- Queso tierno: Semi-hard soft cheese, ripened at least 16 days (for cheese with a weight of 1 kg) or 30 days (for weights of 3 kg). The cheese is dense, compact but with a creamy texture that melts in the mouth. Milk flavour, slightly acidic and softly salted. Outside it has a ivory colour.
- Queso semicurado: Semi-hard cheese. If the cheese is pure goat milk, it is cured 40 days (for cheese with a weight of less 1 kg) or 50/60 days (for weights of 3 kg). If the cheese is mixed milk (cow 80% at least and goat at least 5%), it is cured 20 days (for cheese with a weight of <1 kg) or 40 days (for weights of <3 kg). The cheese is dense and compact but flexible and creamy. The ageing of the cheese, in our storage rooms, gives it the smell and taste of fresh milk and butter with a low salt level.
- Queso curado con aceite de oliva virgen AOV: Hard cheese, ripened at least 5 month and rind washed every month with virgin olive oil VOO, that give the cheese a special smell. The taste of the cheese is unique, special, an experience for the senses that know how to enjoy the best raw materials
- Queso curado madurado en aceite de oliva virgen extra AOVE: Hard cheese, cured in extra virgin olive oil EVOO (only in 1kg format). This is a special receipt with a unique process: the cheese is matured at least 60 days and when it is at the best moment, it is introduced in a bag full extra virgin olive oil at least 1 month. The cheese that we obtain is a little spicy and maintain the taste of milk but also the flavour of the best and healthy olive oil.
Our company was born in late 2009 as a result of the experience of more than 40 years as a central milk collector in the Guadalquivir Valley and Vega del Genil, thanks to the proximity of our facilities to cattle and goat farming of Cordoba and Seville. This allows us to select the best milk for our cheeses.
Our facilities are equipped with advanced technology and strict selection of milk that makes the raw material used, the best quality for the cheese. Periodic audits, traceability and sanitary safety, guarantee the quality of the product obtained. In special, the production of our premium cheese implies a superior care even to all the other cheeses since Nu’m must pass very demanding and severe certifications to be Halal.
The facilities are in Fuente Palmera, locality of the province of Córdoba (Spain) of approximately 11,000 inhabitants whose economy is based on the the textile industry and in particular everything related to weddings as well as the Agriculture and Livestock.
The colony of Fuente Palmera was founded by King Carlos III in 1768 with the New Populations Order with the objective of repopulating part of the Sierra Morena with settlers from Germany, Flanders, Switzerland or Italy, who brought their customs and traditions, and in particular the production of artisanal cheeses.